General Description The DS2710 is ideal for in-system charging of single-cell nickel metal hydride (NiMH) cells for low-current portable applications. Inputs to the DS2710 include USB voltage sources and 5V regulated adapters. Temperature, voltage, and charge time are monitored to provide proper fast-charging control algorithms for single-cell NiMH or nickel cadmium (NiCd) batteries. The DS2710 includes Battery tests to detect defective or inappropriate cells such as alkaline primary batteries.
Features ♦ Charges Single-Cell NiMH Cells ♦ Switch-Mode Topologies Supported by Hysteretic Control Technique ♦ Precharges Deeply Depleted Cells ♦ Fast-Charges NiMH with -ΔV Termination Sensitivity of 2mV (typ) ♦ Monitors Voltage, Temperature, and Time for Safety and Secondary Termination ♦ Regulates Charge Current ♦ Designed for External pMOS ♦ Rail-to-Rail MOSFET Driver ♦ Tiny 10-Pin TDFN Package (3mm x 4mm)
Applications Small Rechargeable Devices Voice Recorders Cordless Mouse Battery-Powered Toys
DESCRIPTION The LT®1511 current mode PWM Battery charger is the simplest, most efficient solution to fast charge modern Rechargeable batteries including lithium-ion (Li-Ion), nickel-metal-hydride (NiMH) and nickel-cadmium (NiCd) that require constant-current and/or constant-voltage charging.
FEATURES ■ Simple Design to Charge NiCd, NiMH and Lithium Rechargeable Batteries—Charging Current Programmed by Resistors or DAC ■ Adapter Current Loop Allows Maximum Possible Charging Current During Computer Use ■ Precision 0.5% Accuracy for Voltage Mode Charging ■ High Efficiency Current Mode PWM with 4A Internal Switch ■ 5% Charging Current Accuracy ■ Adjustable Undervoltage Lockout ■ Automatic Shutdown When AC Adapter is Removed ■ Low Reverse Battery Drain Current: 3µA ■ Current Sensing Can Be at Either Terminal of the Battery ■ Charging Current Soft-Start ■ Shutdown Control
APPLICATIONS ■ Chargers for NiCd, NiMH, Lead-Acid, Lithium Rechargeable Batteries ■ Switching Regulators with Precision Current Limit
General Description The MAX8568A/MAX8568B backup-Battery-management ICs are complete charging and backup switchover control solutions for PDAs, Smart Phones, and other smart portable devices. They charge both NiMH and Rechargeable lithium Battery types and feature programmable charge current and termination voltage. Separate optimized charge algorithms for both lithium and NiMH cells are included on-chip. The MAX8568A/MAX8568B also manage backup switchover from a primary power source. An accurate on chip voltage detector monitors the main supply and backs up two system supplies (typically I/O and memory) when main power falls. On-chip drivers switch external MOSFETs to disconnect the main supply from the system loads so the backup source is not drained. Low-voltage backup cells can be stepped up by an on chip synchronous-rectified, low-quiescent-current boost converter. Additionally, a low-quiescent-current LDO generates a second backup voltage. The MAX8568A LDO is preset to 2.5V while the MAX8568B LDO is preset to 1.8V. Both devices are supplied in 16-pin 3mm x 3mm thin QFN packages rated for -40°C to +85°C operation.
Features ♦ Automatically Manage All Backup Switchover Functions ♦ Charge Both NiMH and Rechargeable Lithium Backup Batteries ♦ On-Chip Battery Boost Converter for 1-Cell NiMH ♦ Two Backup Output Voltages ♦ Programmable Charge Current ♦ Programmable Charge Voltage Limit ♦ Low 17µA Operating Current in Backup Mode ♦ Eliminate Many Discrete Components ♦ Tiny 3mm x 3mm Thin QFN Package
Applications PDAs and PDA Phones Smart Phones DSCs and DVCs Palmtops and Wireless Handhelds Internet Appliances and Web-Books
MPL55-12 is designed with multi-plate technology so that it owns unparalleled high energy density. The unique alloy composition imposes our Battery with more than 300 cycles at 100% discharge depth and 6-8 years float life as well. Highly automated production with advanced heat-sealing and through-partitiontechnique ensures reliable performance which is superior to any other Battery manufacturer. Since its case is made of polypropylene, the outdoor and indoor usage of this Battery are both suitable.
The DS2715 is well suited for cost-sensitive charger applications where the Battery is either internal or in a unique Battery pack. It has been optimized for safe reliable charging of 1 to10 NiMH cells in series. The DS2715 has an internal gain block that can be selected as either a comparator or transconductance amplifier for charge current regulation. The DS2715 is configurable as a switched DC charger, a linear current regulator, or a switchmode current source. The DS2715 pre-conditions severely depleted cells are pre-conditioned before entering full charge mode. The DS2715 terminates full charge using the dT/dt technique. It requires an external thermistor for dT/dt detection. Over-temperature, under-temperature, and over-voltage detection prevents charging under unsafe environmental conditions. A user selectable charge timer allows charge rates from 0.15C to 2C. Fast-charge, top-off and charge done modes are included for highly reliable, safe charging of NiMH cells. Discharge mode allows the DS2715 to enter a low power sleep state while the cell pack is being discharged.
■ Charges 1 to 10 NiMH Cells
■ Fast Charges up to a 2C Rate
■ Pre-Charge and Top-Off Charge Modes Help Cell Conditioning
■ Load Detection Allows the DS2715 to Enter Low Power Sleep Mode (Less than 10µA) while the Cell Pack is Discharged
The TEA1104 is manufactured in a BiCMOS process intended to be used as a Battery monitor circuit in charge systems for NiCd and NiMH batteries. It is especially designed for cost effective compact consumer applications.
• Accurate detection of fully charged batteries by currentless peak voltage sensing
• Switch-over from fast to safe trickle charge current at Battery full detection
• Fast charge termination back-up by maximum time and maximum temperature detection
• Several trickle charge drive possibilities for mains isolated and non-mains isolated systems
• Battery checking to protect against short-circuited and open batteries
• Battery monitor allows recharging of different Battery packs in the same charger
• Dual LED indicator provision
• External regulator not required because of large input voltage range
The TEA1103x are fast charge ICs which are able to fast charge NiCd and NiMH batteries.
The main fast charge termination for NiCd and NiMH batteries are ∆T/∆t and peak voltage detection, both of which are well proven techniques. The TEA1103x automatically switches over from ∆T/∆t to peak voltage detection if the thermistor fails or is not present. The ∆T/∆t detection sensitivity is temperature dependent, thus avoiding false charge termination. Three charge states can be distinguished; fast, top-off and trickle.
• Safe and fast charging of Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) and Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries
• Pin compatible with the TEA1102x, fast charge ICs for LiIon, SLA, NiCd and NiMH batteries
• Three charge states for NiCd or NiMH; fast, top-off and trickle or voltage regulation (optional)
• Adjustable fast charge current [0.5CA to 5CA nominal (CA = Capacity Amperes)]
• DC top-off and pulsating trickle charge current (NiCd and NiMH)
• Temperature dependent ∆T/∆t Battery full detection
• Automatic switch-over to accurate peak voltage detection (−1⁄4%) if no NTC is applied
• Possibility to use both ∆T/∆t and peak voltage detection as main fast charge termination
• Support of inhibit during all charging states
• Manual refresh with regulated adjustable discharge current (NiCd and NiMH)
• Voltage regulation in the event of no Battery
• Support of Battery voltage based charge indication and buzzer signalling at Battery insertion, end of refresh and at full detection
• Single, dual and separate LED outputs for indication of charge status state
• Minimum and maximum temperature protection
• Time-out protection
• Short-circuit Battery voltage protection
• Can be applied with few low-cost external components.